Create DMARC Records For Your Domain Hosted Through GoDaddy
It is essential to follow the specific steps of your domain hosting service provider to create DMARC records correctly. The steps listed in this guide will assist you in setting up a DMARC record for your domain through hosting providers such as GoDaddy.
A DMARC record defines the policy to be implemented for authenticating emails using the DMARC authentication system. The DMARC policy informs ISPs such as Microsoft, Yahoo, Gmail, etc., whether a domain is set up to use DMARC. The record must be published into the DNS to be active. A DMARC record generation tool can help you create DMARC records. However, the steps in implementing a DMARC record by adding it into the DNS could slightly vary depending upon the provider under which your domain exists. Below is a comprehensive guide showing how to publish a DMARC record GoDaddy for your GoDaddy domain.
Create DMARC Record – GoDaddy
As mentioned above, one needs to follow the specific steps required by GoDaddy to add DMARC records to your domains in GoDaddy. (It is also possible to add a GoDaddy DMARC record through one of their partners.) Follow the below steps to publish a DMARC record for your domain hosted through GoDaddy after creating it using any DMARC record generator tool.
- Step 1: Log in to GoDaddy and click on the ‘Manage’ button, which is found to the right of ‘Domains.’
- Step 2: Select the ‘Manage Zones’ option from the DNS dropdown menu.
- Step 3: Select the domain or search for it using the search bar.
- Step 4: To create a new DNS record, click on ‘Add’ on the selected domain. A point to remember is that if you see a record with the name ‘_dmarc,’ it means a DMARC record exists already. You can edit this record and add information to form the new record instead of adding a new one because more than one DMARC record is not acceptable.
- Step 5: There will be three boxes labeled ‘Type,’ ‘Host,’ and ‘TXT Value,’ respectively. Enter ‘TXT’ in the ‘Type’ box and ‘_dmarc’ in the ‘Host’ box. Now, enter the DMARC record (that you earlier created using the DMARC generator) into the ‘TXT Value’ box.
- Step 6: Now, you will need to wait a while before receiving DMARC reports. The first report can take up to 72 hours to reach you. That is because DNS caching takes time. Moreover, ISPs usually send one report a day.
If the procedure is carried out correctly as per the above steps, your DMARC record gets added successfully in the GoDaddy domain. It will then start generating reports shortly after the implementation. Adding a GoDaddy DMARC record is a one-time process. Once it is done, you will regularly receive timely DMARC reports for your domain, which helps you get a clear picture of any fake emails trying to take action by spoofing your credentials and taking advantage of customers’ accounts and other stakeholders.